Well we are all home now, and Walker is doing great. He is into everything, and acting like himself. The scariest part of the whole thing was loading him onto the helicopter and not being able to go with him on it. Amanda and I had to drive to Oklahoma City (OKC) and meet him at the University of Oklahoma's Children's Hospital. We arrived about 30 minutes after he did. Ft Sill is about an 1:15 from OKC. His tonsils have reduced in size and are no longer ocluding his airway. (Now that Brad has medical training he uses words that I don't understand...ocluding means blocking for anyone like me. ) He slept most of the night with Amanda and I last night, and was trying to eat Muskoka's food out of her bowl this morning. WE ARE HAPPY TO HAVE OUR WALKER BACK TO NORMAL!!!! Thanks for all the prayers and support.
being loaded onto the LifeFlight
Waiting at the FT SILL ER
Sleeping at the OU Children's Hospital.
p.s. For those of you that don't know the whole story...Here is a short version...We took Walker to the ER last Sunday a.m. because he had a fever and was not breathing correctly. The doc put him on amoxicillan after seeing his tonsils. By Wednesday (the 4th of course), we knew he wasn't improving and seemed to be getting worse. Thursday morning Brad had to go to work for a 24 hour shift and I took both boys to the ER because the clinics were still closed for the holiday. The doc determined that there could be a possiblity of a deviated trachea. They wanted to get him some strong antibiotics, run blood work, do some x-rays, give him a steriod and do a CT scan of his neck... I called Brad and a friend came to get Wilson. They wanted to monitor Walker and nowhere here in town has a facility that could properly respond to a blocked airway in an infant that is why they decided to transfer him to OKC. (Silly us, we thought it would be by ambulance!) I heard the helicopter land but thought it was for someone else. When we got to the hospital they did more xrays and tried to decide about doing a CT scan or not. They decided that there was considerable improvement after the steriod treatment and decided not to do the CT scan because it would be fairly invasive. They did some bloodwork and a viral culture test. The docs think it is probably a virus but won't get the tests back for a week or so. We are diligently watching for a fever, rash or lethargy and will return to OKC if these symptoms come back. As Brad said, Walker is back to himself so we think the worst is over.
I didn't do that great at making a long story short, but there are a lot of details and assume most people would want them after seeing the pic of Walker in the helicopter! Again, thanks for the prayers...oh and Brad wouldn't tell you this, but his training really put me at ease. He was able to explain everything and even had to interevene at the ER at Fort Sill when a medic screwed up Walker's IV...but that's a story Brad would have to tell.