29 July 2008

fishing

you know the Chinese proverb...give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime... ??



At church an elderly man asked me if I needed anything, I told him that I had told my SS class that I need someone to show me how to start my blasted weed-eater. (I have only heard putters from it when I have attempted...mocking putters in my opinion.) I then told him that I won't get kicked out of government quarters for long grass along my fence line, so I am really doing pretty well. He replied, "I will come over tomorrow, and trim your yard." I quoted the old proverb, and told him I really just want to learn HOW to do it.



You might not know this about me, but I am a bit of a ball of contradictions, while I am very dependent in some regards...I think Dad used to cut my steak for me through at least 10th grade, and the first time I mowed a yard I was 31...in other ways I am quite independent, moving to California, and then to Africa demonstrate this well.



For some reason, with the weed-eating, I want to be independent, I want to do it myself.



But, sometimes others want to give us a fish. And I think sometimes it is wrong to not allow them that honor. I am learning this, learning to accept help, learning to stand and watch, rather than to struggle through it alone. Humbling? yes; uncomfortable? most definitely. Part of being a member of the body of Christ? I do believe so.




Sometimes it is difficult to know when to accept a fish and when to ask for a lesson.



Yesterday, I got both. My lawn was trimmed and I received a tutorial on all things weed-eater. Tomorrow I am going to try to fire that thing up on my own. Lord willing, someday I might be able to show someone else how to do it...

4 comments:

  1. In my 8 years of being a single mom, I became very independant, self-reliant. I mowed my 1/2 acre yard weekly, but weed eating? Those big, bulky, gas weed eaters? For the birds! I used an electric weed eater...and though the cord was a bit cumbersome, the push button start was wonderful! Good luck w/your future weed eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jenn, I don’t like those bulky gas weed eaters. I still use an electric weed eater. I actually release a lot of frustration when I weed wack. Weird, uh! Love Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay girls, I understand the ease of the electric weed eaters, but I've always loved the VROOOOOM of anything that has a gas engine...alright I am a little on the strange side. On the other hand, knowing when to ask for help is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been good at asking anyone for help. I'm always afraid of being disappointed. I would rather be the helper. It is humbling to accept help from others. I had once heard that to reject the help is to rob someone of a blessing. Kind of made me look at things a little bit differently. I am sure that man was blessed to have been able to help you trim your lawn. It probably did as much for him as it helped you. I still am working on it!

    ReplyDelete