14 August 2008

hodge-podge

WOW! Poor Yaya has arrived during a crazy time around this house. Thankfully she has helped me get a lot done! Yesterday morning I did some 'cooking for a month.' I used a book that Barbie found at a thrift store and then gave to me called Frozen Assets, lite & easy. The book is broken down in 'sessions' and I did one session with five recipes yesterday. The author gives you a shopping list and prep directions. The recipes are frozen before they are finished cooking, so they do not taste like leftovers when you cook them (I'll get back to you on that). At first I thought it would be handy for when Brad is home on R&R so I don't have to spend much time in the kitchen, but then I realized how nice it will be for while Wil is in school, so I can spend more time with him at the end of his day. (By the way, there weren't any cream soups in the recipes, and I think we are going to save a bit of money too! There was quite a bit of fresh produce too!)

here is a picture of me prepping my 'chicken session.' I was oh-so-Rachel-Ray with my garbage bowl (in the middle). here is one of the recipes, Cheddar Chicken. The recipe recommends serving it over egg noodles, but I think it would be really yummy on baked potatoes too.
And here is the freezer-full. 10 meals in three hours! (I am only cooking for one adult and two little ones, so the recipes stretch pretty far for us).
Sometimes I give the grandparents a hard time because they buy our boys so much junk (and by junk, I really mean wonderful things). But the truth is, my grandparents spoiled me pretty well growing-up. And this package of Michigan sweet corn, shows that my Granny is STILL spoiling me... guess I should lay off on my boys' grandparents!
Tonight we had Wilson's open house at school and we got to meet his teacher. I am quite certain that I was more nervous than Wilson when we walked in the building! It was wonderful though, and I am finally really excited for him!



Is he not the picture of confidence? He really is ready!
Walker wanted to stay too!
celebrate is in quotes, hmmm....
I think I am ready too. More or less because God told me so, and not so much because of my own preferences...
But, who am I to argue with the Almighty. He is good, all the time.
And if you remember, please pray for Brad. He is travelling to Uganda in the next 24 hours. He will be there for a few weeks. I don't know how much we will be able to communicate while he is there. I am really excited for this opportunity to do some 'medic stuff' and also to see another part of the world...and possibly fall in love with the people and want to move there and become missionaries and...oops, am I making my own plans again?


5 comments:

  1. I am amazed at all your cooking tips and ideas! And what a great idea to get them all done and ready to go so you can spend your time doing more important stuff. Smart! Glad that Wilson is excited for school and they are just as cute as can be. May God just continue to give you strength, grace, and guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! I need to get more organized!

    Praying for you this am... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the meals! I have heard of something similiar to that but never tried it, of course, we would need two freezers! But wow, how awesome! So glad your mom is such great help to you! What a blessing to have her there. Are you taking Wilson for his first day or letting him ride the bus? I bet he is so excited. Colson is getting excited to go all day and to ride the bus with Jacqueline. You will be such an asset to his teacher with all your gifts and talents! Glad your mom is there to spend the first day with you and to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy first day of school, Big Willie!!! Your Michigan friends are praying for you and your mommy today!

    Maybe I live in a cave, but what's the deal with the garbage bowl? I'm only guessing that it's to throw the scraps or whatever in while you're preparing your meal?? I have only seen Rachel Ray's show once or twice, so forgive me for my being "in the dark" about her...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Clements Crew15 August, 2008 20:19

    Way to go Girl!!! Before you know it you'll be cooking twice a month for most of the month!!! You mentioned breakfast and having to cook that... I have recipes to freeze for that, too. Cheese biscuits can freeze just as easily as they can be refrigerated. I can not wait to hear how each recipe tastes. You may have to lend me that book. HA HA

    ReplyDelete