02 February 2009

this is home

Brad reenlisted today! I think I have known for quite some time that we would be sticking with this military life for awhile longer. And even so, I was surprised how quickly we came to this decision. God has led us well. I do not doubt that He will continue to do so.

Do you remember that I had hoped Brad would fall in love with Africa and we would become career missionaries??? That was my wish, not God's desire. Africa will always, always be deeply rooted in my heart. I am not going to get into predicting God's path though. His way is always surprising, and His timing is impeccable.

I will confess, while I was sort of wishing for Brad's heart to fall in love with the people of Africa, my heart was falling for the military families. Big time. It happened so gracefully, so powerfully, so deeply. There is a need here. And it is not going away anytime soon. Husbands will deploy. Families will be apart. And not only that - God is at work here. In so many ways. And the crazy part about this life, is when I say 'here' it means all over! Mind-boggling and comforting at the same time. And the best part, Brad and I both feel that He has personally invited us to join Him in His work right here.

There is a song that I have been hearing for quite some time now, and it really sums up how I feel about this part of our journey. (Isn't there always a song for me???)

Sometimes it seems a bit appealing to wonder about if we just got "out." But I can't really go there, because I know this is where we belong. The crazy thing is, when Brad was in training, the song "Homesick" made me cry every time I heard it. The part about 'if home is where the heart is then I am out of place.' And now, even apart, I feel like we are "home" right smack dab in the center of God's will for our family. Apart, but held tightly together by Him.

P.S. I had no idea this song had anything to do with Narnia. I just heard it on our satellite station. However, when I began singing along with it, I used to think it said, "And I can't go back, back to Hollywood" instead of "And I can't go back, back to how it was." One day I finally decided that I wanted to understand more of the "Hollywood" reference. So when I really listened to the lyrics, that is when I got it. I've liked the song a lot more since then. And yes, that does mean I am dork. I own it though. I am ok with that.

4 comments:

  1. My heart is overjoyed for you both. I see how God is using you and how you are touching the lives of others in the mist of your own husband being deployed. You are a wonderful vessel for the Lord. I saw you slowly falling in love with the military.... I could see it in your eyes when you talk about the ladies that you have met at PWOC, when you would tell me about an upcoming program and how it all fell into place, and when you talk about "what's next". Oh, my, the adventures your family is sure to have.
    I am sure that you will call many places "home"...all will have something special for each of you to remember. It's a journey.... one that you'll travel together.
    I love that you give all glory to God and that you step out in faith and are confident in God's decisions. I love that you have faith in Brad and rest in knowing that he will make the right decision for your family and that you know that he is following God's plan.
    You are an amazing woman!!!
    I ♥ ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amanda!! I've been wondering what you and Brad would decide. I know there has been a lot of careful thought and prayer given this decision - and I am also not surprised that you've decided for Brad to stay "in".

    God is using you there in OK and Brad in Africa to further His kingdom - and He's got you right where you are supposed to be right now. (And just think - between the two of you and the internet, you've got worldwide coverage!!) It's so awesome that not only do you both see that need, but you are embracing it as well.

    Awesome.

    PS - I'm a dork, too. Welcome to the club. We have jackets! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your re-enlistment. You have such a kind heart and a special way of touching all that know you, I know God will continue to use you to bless all who cross your path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew in my heart that you wouldn't be coming "home." Even though I miss the boys, especially Wilson, I know this is the path that God has chosen for your family. You are always in our prayers. Love always, Sandy P.S. I am starting to miss you and Brad also!

    ReplyDelete