01 April 2009

tremendously awesome

I finished the last of my sewing projects... at least until sometime after Linds & Ari leave. The boys were pretty happy to get their ACU crayon rolls. I made a practice one, back in December, and it turned out pretty well, and it was so simple, that I just made two of them then without actually cutting up one of Brad's old shirts (I used the flannel from PJ pants last year). Anyway, after Wilson saw the ACU crayon rolls I made for Colson and Jack, he decided he did want one after all! I had some sewing machine issues last night, but Mom sent me some great troubleshooting list and I got it sorted out... Yesterday, Walker and I met up with some of the ladies from our "Deployed Spouses Support Group" and drove up to Norman, OK to meet some ladies from a Bible study group in Owasso (by Tulsa, OK - and pronounced just like Owosso, MI), that have adopted us!

My friend Katie, decided to start the support group and we meet at our church every Sunday evening. It is not a church-thing its just at the church and they provide free childcare. Katie thought it would be good to have a place that we could get together and just chat about how things are going in our lives... Her husband is a chaplain and they keep connected with people via newsletter. One lady that they used to go to church with contacted Katie after reading about the support group and asked if her Bible study group could "adopt" each of us!

Here is Walker with Katie...


And here is my "special friend", Christy with her daughter Annaka. We have emailed a few times in the last month or so and she has also sent me a card. I was excited to meet her because I am not good at the 'pen pal' stuff. It was wonderful, we all had lunch together, I think there were over 20 of us altogether. What a blessing!

Ok, I do have a question for y'all. Can you think of something we can call one another besides "special friend," or "adopted friend." We even tried "secret friend," - that one sounds creepy! Their group is called "The Crossings" and ours has a really catchy name "Deployed Spouses Support Group." Any ideas??? Feel free to think about this off and on throughout the day and let me know all of your ideas. Maybe I can throw in a crayon cozy for a winning name - in a few weeks of course!
The ladies gave each of us a little spring goody bag too. It was a tremendously awesome day for us! Plus Walker was a champ in the car!
You will make known to me the path of life; in your presence is fullness and joy; in your right hand there are pleasures forever. Psalm 16:11

5 comments:

  1. is it just me or does Walker look like a giant in that picture???

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is getting big!
    I'll be thinking. Right now, I've got nothing! It's still early ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got nothin'.

    But your crayon holders turned out great, and I'm glad you had a great time at your lunch.

    I'll try to come up with a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walker does look big. He certainly doesn't look 2 1/2. In every picture that I have seen of him, he always looks like he's having so much fun. Must be the sparkle in his eyes and his awesome smile. Love Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about "Connections" or "S.O.S" (sisters of support)?
    I know they sound cheesy, but just wanted to throw a few things out there!

    ReplyDelete