19 October 2009

lessons from the run

So most of you know that I have been attempting to become a runner. Brad printed out a work-out titled "Couch to 5k." So, thankfully, it has been gradual. I've been learning some things along the way.

Like last week, I found out that Muskoka is scared of those -light-up-inflatable-halloween decorations...at least when it is dark outside...she nearly took me down trying to avoid one.

I also learned that running is hard. This might sound naive, but I thought after awhile, it would just get easy. Maybe its because I have read articles in Runner's World about incredible distances some people have run. Or maybe its because one of my sisters from PWOC runs marathons, and she has three kids! Whatever the reason, I have discovered that after 7 weeks, running is still hard. Granted, I am gradually getting better at it, and if I went back and did the Week 1 Day 1 work-out, it would probably be relatively easy. But why would I want to go back to week 1?

I didn't really have any lofty goals when I started running. I just wanted to be healthy and also to understand the ups and downs that Brad faces in running - since it is part of his job. Now that I realize its hard, its going to take a little more focus to keep going.

I finally got over the 2-mile mark last week. I had run two miles at the end of week 5, but I hadn't successfully run more than that. I would always walk a little bit here and there. But leave it to Brad to inspire me, last Thursday he simply said, "Don't walk." And I didn't.

As I ran, God pointed out the parallel between running and this life. Neither are easy. And we aren't all capable of the same thing. It was naive of me to assume that this would get easy, just because some people make it look easy. Its naive of me to assume those people don't work super hard every day to accomplish what they do.

James tells us that we will face various trials. Not only are the trials within my own life 'various,' but the trials I face vary differently from the trials others face. Nobody gets a free pass. We all struggle. As we grow in our Christian lives, our struggles remain difficult. But we press on. I'll keep running, and we'll keep living...knowing that the hard work will pay off. Knowing that it requires a firm focus on eternity to keep us going.

Does that make any sense?

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." James 1:2-3

"Struggling successfully and profitably brings a deeper joy than even trouble-free living." - From Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas

3 comments:

  1. Sacred Marriage - Good Book.
    Great job running... we've tried to do some of that here but it's so DIRTY outside and you get whistled at and its just gross! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! Good for you for sticking with it - very inspirational for me to get back into working out again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your parallel between life and running because it is so true. You continue to be a wise woman who inspires me!

    ReplyDelete