28 March 2010

DISCIPLINE breeds CONTENTMENT...

Does that even make sense? I don't know. I feel like I could write a few blog posts on this idea. I'll try to keep it brief though. Brad hates posts that use too many words!

So I am reading Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley. (the FlyLady)

And I just finished reading Love & War by John & Stasi Eldridge. (Excellent book, by the way.)

And somehow, God can bring these two seemingly unrelated books together, alongside my Bible study, and teach me about being disciplined.

It started a long time ago... this lesson about discipline and contentment. And I have a feeling its going to go on for quite some time...like until I am in heaven.

Here's the thing that has me thinking... John Eldridge has explained the connection between Satan and our daily lives as agreements. Subtle little allowances in our lives that we have given over to the evil one. Some agreements can be more devastating than others. Some can be harmless for years, and then begin to produce problems later on. (I am sure I can't explain it very well, so you might want to check out Walking with God or Waking the Dead.)

Oftentimes agreements can include the words, "always" or "never."

Here's an example.

Let's say its an average morning and its 2 minutes AFTER we should be in the car... and someone (me) can't find their other shoe.

"Get in the car! We're going to be late! Hurry Up! " I scream to the boys, in a voice that is rather frightening.

And then to myself, I begin to seethe, "Where is my shoe? Where is my dang shoe? Why on earth can NOBODY EVER put anything away right? I am always looking for stuff. I can never find anything in this house. We are always late. I hate this."

All that because I didn't put my shoes in the closet together!

And as the event replays in my mind as I race to get to school on time, I might come up with the conclusion that I will never be good at house-keeping. That I will always be running around screaming in the morning. Its not a good picture.

But here is the thing. Its a lie.

I can have victory in the morning. Its called discipline. It has nothing to do with my parents, or my husband, or my children (or anyone else I would rather blame). It has everything to do with trusting God for victory in the places that I thought I would never win.

God is using a variety of methods to teach me more about living a disciplined life.

And let me tell you, that breeds a great sense of contentment!

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
John 10:10

3 comments:

  1. Good Post. Short and sweet, Brad's right I hate long wordy posts. But this one had a great message. I've been focusing on patience this year... I think its a hard thing to have as a teacher. I have to find the balance between being patient and not being lenient when it comes to discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post sis, it reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Dr. Dixon from when I was in college, "Liberty is disciplined living."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!!

    I need to learn to be more disciplined too. I'm better than I used to be, but still have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete