25 June 2010

michigan trip

this year's summer vacation was divided into two parts - backpacking & michigan. The backpacking post will be separate - but here's a little preview...there's a happy ending -- we all survived.

I guess its not really called "vacation" when you are visiting family. But I don't know what else to call it. For some reason, this summer's trip was exhausting. The boys and I have finally recovered, but Brad had to jump right back in to work, so he is still pretty worn out. I am hoping he can have a low-key weekend to gear up for his return to the crazy work schedule. Somehow or another, we'll have to figure out how to incorporate time to recharge while visiting everyone.

I did a super horrible job of taking pictures this vacation - I didn't even get the camera out of the van until a couple days before we left! We threw a shower for my soon-to-be sister-in-law, and I didn't even take a single picture. No pics with mom, or most of the greats, none of Blake's open house... good thing the boys are getting older so they can remember events on their own =)

Did I mention that we put 800 miles on the van AFTER we got to Michigan? We did.

I was pleased with this picture of Jack and I. Brad snapped it about 2 minutes before the final farewell at Dad's house... Jack didn't really want me to hold him, but somehow Brad always clicks the camera at just the right moment... it almost looks like Jack likes his Aunt Amanda!I did get a good picture of Dad with his siblings and Nate... and aren't Sandy's hanging baskets fantastic???
And a semi-decent one of great-grandma Rose with three of her great grandsons... Walker was obviously not in the mood...
I snapped a few pictures around the room while Blake was opening his cards from his open house... I think this one of Colson is frame-worthy...
Walker was so worn out that day... he snuggled up to Megan (Ben's girlfriend) and asked her to rub his back... it wasn't long and he was out.... so cute. and so rare for him to fall asleep like that...
oh, I nearly forgot about this little wrestle-fest we captured. Silly boys. And Walker with his "thumbs-up" so we know he's alright...
I did manage to get one of the "boys with their grandparents" shot. (My goal each trip is to get one of these with each of the grands & greats -- 1 out of 7 isn't too bad, right?)
We had a great time. We always do. We are so blessed by our families, their love, encouragement, laughter... and just plain hanging around. If only the Army would build a post in Flushing, or near there even... maybe buy up some old GM land???

Seriously, we know whole-heartedly that God has called us to this Army life. We have peace about that, which makes the good-byes a little more tolerable. It is definitely hard to watch the boys say good-bye, and harder to talk to them about how all of it feels for them. We are thankful that they get to spend time with their far-away family, and that they enjoy it so much. It is truly a blessing. Regardless of how tiring it can be, we wouldn't trade it for anything. Its always worth it.

"God's blessing makes life rich; nothing we do can improve on God." Proverbs 10:22

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a whirlwind trip! Hope Brad gets some needed R&R!

    ReplyDelete