16 September 2010

the adoption post

I'm not exactly certain how to start "The Adoption Post" so here goes...

Our family is in the process of adopting from the State of Georgia's foster care system. It has been a long road to get this place. Lots of prayer. Lots of discussion. Lots of research. Lots of prayer. Lather, rinse, repeat. You know?

I think probably since this happened, I have been sort of hoping to work out something like that for our family. And then when God sent Brad to Africa (via the US Army) for 15 months, I joked one or twenty times about Brad bringing us home a baby. Which I knew in reality wouldn't happen, but there's a popular expression 'round these parts that "There is a little truth in every joke."

And all along... God knew my heart about adoption. And He knew Brad's heart too. And He knew the perfect time for our family. We have come to the conclusion that at this point in time we would be disobeying God if we did not begin this process.

"Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." James 4:17

We also felt a strong sense that we should begin here. In our own community. I have a specific story that really solidified this for me. Eventually I will put it on paper, or this here blog, so that our new little one can learn about how God talked to me about His plans for our family. I know I would cut too many corners if I started that story right now.

We have taken 20 hours of classes, been fingerprinted, drug-tested, had physicals and personality tests. We have had a home visit and filled out a LOT of paperwork. Walker is holding our file in this picture, the day we turned it all in! He was pretty excited, and so were we!The next thing on our list is the 3-4 hour home study. The state is currently working on contracts for the social workers so it might be awhile. We believe God's timing isn't impacted by the way the state government makes decisions. We trust God.

This summer as I was praying over some things very specifically, So Long Insecurity knocked me over the head. Beth Moore talked about how she used to pray, "Lord I trust you to...{fill in the blank}." And she said she realized that God wants us to pray, "Lord I trust you.{PERIOD}." You see at the very time I was reading this book, I was praying that God would connect me with a military family that had recently adopted (at the time I was thinking internationally because sometimes I really get ahead of God). I earnestly believed that I was exerting so much faith because I trusted God TO BRING THAT CONNECTION. Rather than simply TRUSTING GOD {PERIOD}. I was literally waiting for God to bring that connection into our life BEFORE stepping out in faith to do what we were certain He wanted us to do. I think shortly after confessing this to Him, I got that return phone call from the State of Georgia (and the ball began to roll...)

Funny thing is, a few weeks ago a lady from PWOC asked me some very specific questions about adopting through the state of Georgia... I won't share her personal information here, but let's just say our God is so good!

To say that we have seen God's Hand all over this thing already would be an understatement. I'll share more of those stories in the days and weeks ahead. This might be a really long road, it will certainly be a hard one. God knows each detail already and for that I am so thankful. I told Brad last night that I was ready to "have an ultrasound and see if it's a boy or a girl!" I guess this one will be a surprise! EEEK!

Please pray with us for the new one. Ask questions. Share in our journey, we are so happy to have you come along!

7 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD !!! i am so excited! i cannot wait to hear more! i will be praying for you as begin this journey...how amazing.

    much love to you my friend.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Mandy. Love to you & Brad and Wilson & Walker on this whole process! God is With You All!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda!! God is good and faithful. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your openness about what God is doing in your life. Thank you for being an encouragement to me, helping my faith to grow. Praying for you as you embark on this adventure. I know God will use your family in HUGE ways!!! It is all very RAD, Amanda! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome Amanda! Praying the process will go just the way it is supposed to and looking forward to hearing about the arrival of the newest Lutz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am so excited for all of you & can't wait to hear the details. Thanks for sharing.

    DJT

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Amanda, that is great! I can't wait to follow along your adoption journey. What a heart you have!

    I'm at mommybecoming.blogspot.com, if you're interested.

    Alesha

    ReplyDelete