02 November 2010

{give more}

this Christmas.

You can.

Yes, YOU can, {GIVE MORE}.

But how?

Ok, that's where I am. And that is why I am writing this post. Its "Joy Jars" time, and maybe this year you want to join in...

Its November 3rd today and we've had soup twice already this month!

If you don't know about Joy Jars, you might want to read about it here and here. The short version is this - we don't have a lot of extra money to give, but we want to give more. In order to teach the boys (and ourselves) a lesson about the correlation between sacrifice & giving, we eat soup (OFTEN) in November & December... then the money that we save on groceries goes to our Joy Jars to give away.

I have some lofty grocery goals in my head. And let me tell you, its going to be a challenge. We don't have WIC anymore so my grocery budget has seemed tighter since moving here. Plus the boys are growing so they eat more. Which got me thinking, how can we give more? Truthfully the thought process was...

HOW can we give more?
How CAN we give more?
How can WE give more?

And then it hit me, maybe some of you want to give more.

And maybe if I humbly invite you to join us then, maybe we (the four of us) won't actually be giving much more money ourselves... but we'll have others giving alongside us!

If you decide to do it, let us know... We aren't asking you to send us any donations, or even asking you to report how much you give. We're just inviting you to jump in!

Remember, you absolutely must make it work for you... Talk it over as a family. We give to World Vision and use the gift giving catalog, but maybe you have a different organization in mind to give to... the point is {GIVE MORE}

We are only in this position to encourage others to {GIVE MORE} because of the great and amazing things God has taught us over the years. He gets all the credit for teaching us so patiently and faithfully! If you ever, (ever) have questions, we are always (always) happy to share some of our mistakes and lessons with you!

"Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago." Isaiah 25:1

Here's an advent conspiracy video to provide some perspective... and perhaps challenge you in other areas of giving this Christmas as well...


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Can we join you?! The give jars are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great video... and I can tell you from personal experience... you won't miss whatever it is that someone was going to give you. I donated my birthday gift(money my in-loves would have spent on me) last year to Haiti and I didn't miss it one bit.
    I love how you are showing your kids to give. We will be giving to DHR children this year. We haven't found out the details yet, but I have requested teens since we have a teen.
    You have such a servant's heart. Luv ya!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We received a World Vision magazine and read it during lunch one day. We have decided to give this year. The boys are also taking their Christmas money to buy gifts for shoeboxes...Project Christmas Child, I think. My heart is burdened though because we really aren't feeling any pain or pinch as we give. That makes me sad. And I feel very spoiled. (and my next thought is...could you even imagine having TWO incomes?!)

    ReplyDelete