12 November 2010

struggle

struggle: an energetic attempt to achieve something

"Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won't let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us. We must keep our eyes on Jesus, who leads us and makes our faith complete. He endured the shame of being nailed to a cross, because he knew that later on he would be glad he did. Now he is seated at the right side of God's throne! So keep your mind on Jesus, who put up with many insults from sinners. Then you won't get discouraged and give up." Hebrews 12: 1-3

So, you might know that I have been running again. One week from today I will be participating in my first 5k. I still sort of hate running... but also sort of love it. Weird, I know.

I like to run outside best. I've found that if I leave the TV off in front of the treadmill, that I like that better too. Weird, too, I know.

God and I cover a lot of ground (mentally at least) when I run. All sorts of topics at rapid-fire speed. That is the part I absolutely love about running. The actual physical exertion part of it is the struggle for me.

Brad has loaned me some ear-bud-things that don't slip out of my sweaty ears when I run (gross!!). So the last two weeks, I've been listening to my favorite selections while running. It seems to help quite a bit.

The first week that I started seriously running to get ready for this 5k, I didn't have my iPod. And while I was running, I was struggling. And a song popped into my head. And the words encouraged me. As I sang them, a little voice condemned me. "How ridiculous. Those words, for this? A little run? Really?"

But a stronger more trustworthy voice replied, "If you can't trust me for this? How can you trust me with something bigger?"

And my heart swelled, and I belted out a little bit of the song - at least in spirit. "The enemy's been defeated. Death couldn't hold you down."

I am trusting God to continue to reveal to me, His perfect plans. I believe Him for the big things, and I am learning to believe Him for the little things too, because oftentimes the biggest lessons are learned in the littlest of details.





****
thankful for:

Veteran's Day:
Me: Veteran's
Wilson: Veteran's
Walker: friends

today:
Me: date night =)
Wilson: Thanksgiving
Walker: my church

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your 5K my friend. I know you will do great. I love that you are constantly reminding me that God does want to be in the details... He wants to be involved in our lives, even the smallest things. The enemy is waiting and will use any resource to stop our relationship with God our Father!!!!
    hugs to you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my first and only 5K two years ago. I might do another someday, but it was a struggle! I know you will do better :) Good for you for sticking with it.
    I sewed some PJ's this week- blog post to come :)

    ReplyDelete