14 December 2010

adoption update

A couple folks have asked about an adoption update, so here it is.

We are waiting.

In so many ways, I feel like there is nothing to report.

And in other ways, I feel like there is so much going on, but little of it is at my level of understanding.

God is at work. He is teaching Brad and I (and the boys) a great deal about waiting with hope. He is teaching us about believing that His plans will bring about the most hope and best future for all parties involved. He is teaching us about the vast expanse of His plans and the smallness of our own.

On the practical side of things, our adoption packet is somewhere in the process of being approved locally and then being sent on to be approved by the state. At this point in time, I don't think anyone will call us to let us know exactly which stage our packet is at. Our social worker has told me to call and check in with her periodically.

So we pray. We invite others to pray with us. And we wait. And we hope. This season of advent holds a new sense of anticipation for us.

All the while, we are aware that as we pray, and wait, and hope; our child might be experiencing some hard things. I have moments that I am overcome with urgency to pray for our child. I admit, I have spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out what might be going on... but ever so patiently God has been working on my heart to stop figuring and just pray fervently for this little one.

This song is on my iPod shuffle, and always makes my eyes well up

(You might remember it from last winter. I posted it either here or on FB shortly after the earthquake in Haiti. It was written and performed by an adoptive father, waiting to get his kids home from Haiti. His daughter, Story, was home at the time of the earthquake, but his son, Amos, was still there. He is home now too.)

The first time I heard this song, I bawled. And truly it gets to me each time. Brad teases me about having slow songs on my iPod, but I swear I run faster when this one comes on! Then I have trouble breathing as I fight the urge to cry.

Some of my favorite lyrics:

The day will come when all of this is gone
You've got to find a way to believe

I'll find a way to get you here
If it takes my fleeting breath
Another sunrise hits the ground and its a dark lonely sight
Light years away I hope you know
There is somebody searching for the way to get you here

so close your eyes and dream
of a better day with me
as angels hold you tight
may you sleep in peace tonight
so dream dream dream my child
Hear the whisperings of hope

Last week as I ran and sang along (I swear I was the only one in the workout room that day), I thought of our child and some other friends that are in various phases of the adoption process. I thought of the struggle, the difficulty of waiting. Of doing everything we can, and then just waiting.

And softly clearly, God reminded me of this waiting. He reminded me of the lengths He went to make a way to get me home. He sent His son, so long ago to be the perfect sacrifice. He waited for me to accept the Hope that He gave so willingly. He knows all about this waiting for a child to come home.

He is teaching us well as we wait. We pray that He gets all the glory as each day goes by.

"But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it." Romans 8:25

1 comment:

  1. My dear friend, I so love you!!!! What a wonderful woman after God's own heart you are. Your journey is not traveled alone... we are with you and praying with you. Your love for this child that will be yours one day is amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete