28 April 2011

meaning

So, we experienced another round of devastating weather last night... well, we prepared for it. There was talk all week that severe weather might be cropping up again mid-week. Last night Brad had to go to work right after dinner so I watched the evening news to figure out where this storm was heading.

The videos from Tuscaloosa, AL were overwhelming to watch. Just unreal.

Our local weather guys were doing a live chat online in prep of the coming storm. Just before bed time the sirens on Fort Benning went off. And the creepy-man's-voice at the end said, "A Tornado Warning has been issued for Fort Benning." I went outside to hear the man's voice and couldn't believe what he was saying. Our NOAA weather radio hadn't gone off and the local station just had a 'tornado watch' up for our area. I checked the live chat online and the weather guy's comment was something like, "I have no idea why they are sounding sirens on Fort Benning. There is no severe weather in our area yet."

I decided it would be best to take all the coats out of the closet before bed since the boys were a bit geared-up after the sirens. We all (including the big dog) got in the closet for a trial-run and discovered there was plenty of room in there for us. Pretty sure Brad will fit too, if he's ever home during severe weather.

Wilson said he was "a little nervous" to go to bed. I told him it would be OK. He asked what we would do if all of our stuff blew all over the street and just our closet was left standing. I told him we would file an insurance claim for our stuff and we would thank God that we were alive.

Wilson decided to sleep on the top bunk in Walker's room. I was thankful for that decision. We prayed together before bed. We prayed that Daddy would be safe and we prayed that God's angels would protect us. I prayed that the boys would get the rest they need and that they wouldn't be scared, that they would remember that God was holding them.

After praying, Wilson said, "I hope we don't have a tornado."
"Me too," I nodded.
And then he added, "But if we do, there will be a meaning for it."

Of course, my eyes got teary and I marveled at the faith of this little guy. Oh Lord, let me trust that whatever we go through there will be a meaning for it.

"For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, "I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me." Matthew 18:2-5 The Message

Incidentally, all of the severe weather went north of us. A quick check of the news and you know that there are many families across the South that are devastated today due to these storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment