16 April 2011

a peek at BRC

This year Brad worked the same lane at BRC as he did last year.... except this year he was the NCOIC (Non-Commissioned Officer In Charge). He has been working many hours to get this lane just right. I think its called the RFR - Ranger First Responder (I'm going to be so geeked if I got that acronym right). The lane is set up to simulate Rangers recovering wounded soldiers in an area that is sustaining enemy fire. Here's Brad (I labeled him "The Man") at the top of the lane getting a team ready to begin their task...I haven't located the camera charger yet, so I knew I wouldn't get much video... Here's a smidgen of what was happening at the bottom of the hill...before the camera died...



Yes, its that loud. Actually louder when the other thing goes off (heaven sakes I still don't know what that thing is... Walker cried again this year, but not for long).

In the little bit of video you saw that the competitors were on the far side of the helicopter. The lane is set up so that the teams alternate which side they come down on. This keeps the event moving a little more efficiently. After getting the wounded soldier medically assessed, the teams have to get him on a stretcher (gurney?) and carry him up a hill over/under some barbwire and then over a 6 foot (or taller) wall. Then they get him to a place to be picked up by a helicopter. The lane is set up with a left side and right side of each phase (two dummies, two hills, two barbwires, two walls...)

Its a pretty extensive event...with many moving parts. I'm really proud of the work that Brad put into it. More than once in the past few weeks, he had things set up only to have a rainstorm come through and have to go set it up again. You know how thorough a job Brad does too! I apologize that I didn't get more pictures/video of it. I know many of you would've liked to see it. If I find any good footage online in the next day or so, I'll post it here. Deal? Deal.

Brad will be spending another night at work and most of the day tomorrow too. The boys and I are going to try and make it to the finish line tomorrow afternoon.

5 comments:

  1. I am so bummed that we missed this event. We will definately have to come next year!!!!

    I am sure he has out in many hours with this event...whenever we talk to him he seems very happy at this Post. (we are happy that you are so close to us....hee hee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we could have been there too! George said he was wishing he could be there too....love you guys have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For 3 years, we said we were going to go to BRC. But we never did. :-(

    Looks like some great weekend entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool. I'm super proud of Brad! It was great hanging out with you guys and seeing Brad again too!

    ReplyDelete