02 June 2011

True Things

So you know that we are in the "waiting" part of adoption. Waiting for a placement. Waiting for who knows how long. Waiting. Sorta reminds me of the Dr. Seuss book, "Oh the Places You'll Go." Do you know the part? Where everybody is just waiting?

That's where we are. And honestly some days I am better about waiting than others. I waver. The most recent Bible study that I completed at PWOC was titled, "He Speaks to Me," by Priscilla Shirer. In the last week, there was a quote that really got me... pretty sure I even posted it on FB in case one of my "friends" needed those words that day.

"Believing is an action we must choose. A direct correlation exists between our level of belief and patience. Whether we believe God will do what He says will determine whether we can wait graciously for Him. Our lack of patience indicates we don't really believe the God we claim to trust."

That put my impatience in its place. I believe God will do what He said He will do. I believe He has called us to this adoption from the State of GA foster care system. I believe He will bring our baby-child home in His perfect timing. But some days, I need help. And I remembered a passage in Mark that really encouraged me...

We actually studied it for half-a-page in the study I did last fall at PWOC, "Living Free" by Beth Moore. Anyway, Mark 9:17-24 is about the man that wants Jesus to heal his son. The man's son had been possessed by an evil spirit since childhood. It would throw the boy into convulsions, even tried to throw him into fire and into water to try to destroy him. The disciples tried to help, but they could not. The dad was most likely devastated that not even these men could help his son.

The father said in verse 22, "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us!" And Jesus replied, "If you can! All things are possible to him who believes."

And do you know what that boy's father cried out? "I do believe; help my unbelief!" {Mark 9:24}

In the Beth Moore study, she follows up that verse with this statement:

"I am convinced that God would rather hear our honest pleas for more of what we lack than a host of pious platitudes from an unbelieving heart. When I am challenged with unbelief, I have begun to make the same earnest plea to the One who would gladly supply."

Me too, Beth. That is my same plea today. I believe, Lord, help my unbelief!

Imagine my delight when I discovered this song...

No comments:

Post a Comment