08 July 2011

at-home VBS (plus some sewing pics)

Sometime after our VBS at church, Walker mentioned that he wished "every week was VBS!" And I thought I probably could find one at least for each week in June...but I wasn't serious about that. I kind of dismissed his comment until sometime after I had gone crazy from the continual fighting that was happening on a regular basis during the summer days.

So I did some googling. And I found some free VBS stuff online - I knew I would, google is good like that. Of course, I took bits & pieces to make it work for these two, but it was really pretty fun. And the fighting decreased (somewhat).

The theme was based on Galatians 5:22-23, the fruit of the Spirit.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

It was a five-day lesson plan, but the boys were into it some days and not so much on other days so it took us two weeks. And that's ok, because it was fun. Here are a few pictures from them playing with our "fruity" playdough (I used this recipe for kool-aid playdough - the boys had fun making it!)They also made mini-books with each of the characteristics listed - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Ironically, Walker's patience fell in the dog's water dish). In the process, Wilson and I memorized the verses. Walker remembers two characteristics without fail - joy, and self-control! We talked about how the Holy Spirit can help us display this fruit in our days. And that we should pray for help. The boys made little reminders for their rooms that say, "make today fruity" - you can see one on the side of this picture with Walker.
And naturally I wanted a reminder too. Mine is for the kitchen. While googling "fruit of the Spirit craft tutorials" I found this. I had to load the verse myself so I could get it to print to fit in an 8x10 frame. That website was so fun!

Oh, and I had done some sewing last week too; the background fabric of the boys' "make today fruity" reminders is scrap-fabric from this pillowcase dress. Its very fruity!
I took these over to Bit of Benning, we'll see if some of them sell.

I have two other theme ideas for at-home VBS ; hidden treasure, and the Armor of God. I'll kinda play it by ear to see if the boys want to do it some more. I figure centering our play around scripture is a good way to get some of it stuck in their brains for the long-haul. And, it is fun to say to the boys, "Make sure you are fruity while we're in the store," and give them a little wink. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, you are so talented! I love how you make so many things from scraps of this and that. You are a most resourceful woman!

    ReplyDelete