09 May 2012

book review


I finally finished the 2nd book I bought after Christmas.  I tend to read books slowly, take in bits and pieces and think them over before moving on.  Add to it the adopting-twin-one-year-olds, and my book reading process really, really slowed down!

Grace for the Good Girl - letting go of the try-hard life is an excellent book; even if you wouldn't necessarily classify yourself as a "good girl."  It actually took me a bit to commit to reading it because of that "good girl" phrase.  But I adore the author's blog, and so often her posts are written exactly for me on exactly the right day.  And a few women (girls?) that I highly respect and appreciate had great praise for this book.  So I decided to go for it.  And wouldn't you know right in the middle of this adoption process is actually the perfect time for me to read this book?

Because I need grace.  A lot of it.  
But sometimes, I believe the lie that I should be able to handle this myself.
I believe that if I just to do the right things, the right way, it will work out right.
And when I make a mess, I get mad at myself for making a mess... because I should know better.

Instead of trying harder and shoulding myself, I need grace.

I need to let go of tightly clenched fists and let grace grow in open hands.

This book gave me a new mantra for these days that are newly filled with double-toddler-hood.  
Chapter 11 - receive - on truth and trusting : begins with this verse {and by the way, I adore books that have quotes at the beginning of a chapter, its like a little sneak preview all wrapped up in perfectly chosen words}

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful."  Colossians 3:15

Emily goes on to talk about "the letting" in chapter 11.  I feel I might do a great disservice by just choosing a few of her words, but this letting bit covered me like the most comfy blanket...surrounding me and assuring me that this letting is where I will find my Savior's grace.

"We have the letting power.  If I cling to my if-only-I-coulds and my if-they-would-justs, I miss out on the freedom to be found in letting peace rule.  The truth is true whether I let it be or not.  Colossians says let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts...
... I have to receive this peace.  It is not an easy thing to do, to quiet the voices of the accusing party and to allow peace to have the authority.  If I will let it, the peace of Christ will stand between me and the lies of the enemy, the lies that accuse and attack and shame.  Letting this peace rule is a profound mystery, and for many years, it seemed impossible."

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  

Many mornings, before I even put my feet in the floor, I start with that verse.  Many times throughout the day when things get messy and frustration starts creeping, I repeat that verse.  Sometimes, as I repeat it, I put emphasis on "LET" and other times on "PEACE" and still other times "RULE," and of course, "and BE THANKFUL."

So good.  So so good.  You should read it.  And just today, Emily posted this on her blog... so maybe you should read it this summer.

p.s.
Emily is in the process of editing Graceful, which is written for young women that are starting out as good girls. It will be available in  the fall.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for this beautiful review. What grace. And that chapter 11? My favorite one to write.

    also, thanks for mentioning Graceful! I'm excited about that book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this book on my bedside table for weeks! I have not gotten through the required adoption reading yet so I haven't started it but you have encouraged me to pick it up - TONIGHT! Thanks Amanda! And maybe it will work out to discuss it with Emily and a group of like-minded "good girls" this summer too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete