14 May 2012

naive enough






So, most of you know how we got to this place of adopting.  Lots of praying, conversation, waiting, praying, rinse & repeat.  And we decided to jump in and move forward with a domestic adoption through foster care.

And you know what? I was naive enough to think that God was going to place a child in our home in just a handful of months.  And after nearly a year of waiting, I thought, well, maybe I just need to fire up some prayer warriors.  And I was naive enough to think that after I sent that first email to my praying-friends that God was going to place a child in our home.  And after 8 months of emailing out updates, we got a call that we had been matched.  And I was naive enough to think that our babies would be legally-our-babies within a month of two.  That was four months ago. 

I don't know how long this process will take until we all have matching last names.  I am ok with that.  I can see that God leads me with enough naivety to take the next step.  He doesn't fill me in on all the details because there is a good chance that I would just say "NO WAY! THAT IS LIKE WAY WAY TOO HARD."  And so He just leads me step by step.  With constant reminders that He is the same, yesterday, today and always.  And He has surrounded me with lovely people that pray for our family.  And I am certain that they also pray that I am not kept awake at night with worry about this process (because I am not kept awake at night with worry about this process).

It occurred to me today, about those weeks between that "you've been matched" phone call and our first meeting with the caseworkers & foster mom.  Weeks.  It felt like forever.  But God was already growing love in our hearts for these two babies.  And I realized today, that those weeks gave root.  Because at that first meeting we found out some things that might've caused us to say, "NO WAY!" if we had found out on that initial phone call.  We needed those roots to hold the news that this was going to be a different path than we had expected. And by the time we found that out,  there was no longer a place in our hearts that could imagine a "NO."

"The very steps we take come from God, otherwise how would we know where we are going?"
Proverbs 20:24

Wherever you are, whatever you are facing.  God has a plan.  And He is working it out.  And it might seem like its taking a sweet-forever, but His timing is always just-right.  And the things that are growing roots in this waiting place, are things you need in your life... and there is a good chance that those roots will one day hold it altogether.  So take your next step with confidence that He has got this.  And if you look back and think you might have been a little naive with your expectations, its likely His way of protecting you from throwing your arms up and saying, "NO WAY, THAT IS LIKE WAY WAY TOO HARD!"

1 comment:

  1. We are on such different roads yet such similar stories of God's faithfulness in tough and uncertain times. Thanks for your faithfulness and for sharing your story. It is an encouragement to me! And I just adore that picture!!!

    ReplyDelete