29 April 2013

social media for good

During the media chapter of 7, I had a sense of refreshment...which surprised me. I already mentioned that I didn't find myself more productive necessarily, but noticeably more clear-headed. I wondered if perhaps I should just stay disconnected altogether. I mean, who doesn't want to feel clear-headed and refreshed?

But I got a couple packages in the mail. I also got a phone call and some texts about clothing for the foster care office. These are concrete, hold-in-my-hands, reminders of the good that can be accomplished through social media.  {Picture proof :: donations we received in the last two weeks.}



Of course, there are plenty of not-so-concrete examples too - rallying prayers for a tiny baby to survive, shared praise over plane tickets (finally) being purchased so adoptive parents can go get their children, tears of joy while looking over redeployment photos, even just a "I really needed to read this today".  These things matter.  Deeply.

The way I conduct myself online matters - just as much as how I conduct myself in person. The way I read my friends' words should mirror our conversations over a cup of coffee. I think its critical for me not to "read into" the words on the screen, you know?  The time away reminded me to be careful; but also encouraged me to keep using it for good.

What are some of your favorite things in regard to social media?

p.s. in case you are interested, here's an updated list of needs for the foster care supply closet.  I am totally humbled & amazed by the amount of support that has been shown!

GIRLS

  • 1 - 0-3 mos.
  • 1 - 3-6 mos.
  • 2 - 6-9 mos.
  • 1 - 18 mos.
  • 3 -  2 -  2T
  • 3 -  2 - 3T
  • 2 - 4T
  • 2 -  1 - XS (4/5)
  • 2 - S (6/7)
  • 2 - 1 - M (8/10)
  • 2 - 1 - L (12)
  • 2 - XL (14)

BOYS

  • 2 - 0-3 mos.
  • 1 - 3-6 mos.
  • 1 - 6-9 mos.
  • 1 - 12 mos.
  • 1 - 18 mos.
  • 2 -  1 - 2T
  • 3 -  2 - 4T
  • 2 -  1- L (12)
  • 2 - XL (14)

1 comment: