30 July 2013

summer

We are exactly one week out from the first day of school.

Oh, and this is Wilson's last year of elementary school {if God keeps us in the area}.  Tears have been shed over this.  {Wilson has already stated that he prefers if I do NOT accompany him to his classroom on the first day of school.}

This summer has just been a sweet gift.  Perfect?  No.  But just extraordinarily pleasant.  I think it helps that last summer was pretty much exactly the opposite.  I knew it was hard then, heavy and lonely and just plain exhausting.

I really didn't know what to expect of this summer.  I made a sketchy-plan (sketchy = pencil lines; not sketchy = shady characters).  I tried to be a bit more intentional with some things that I let slide last year.  I begged God to make this time sweet.  And He did.  More so than I could have imagined.


When you open your hands to offer to God what you have, it is thrilling to watch Him fill them back up with the most lovely gifts.  He did this over and over throughout these summer days.

If I am honest, I don't want it to end.

I like the little rhythm we created these lazy summer days.  I even like the extra messes from exploring new things.

In looking at the snapshots, I am reminded that He gives good gifts...in His time.  It would be silly to not expect Him to be able to do the same as the school year begins.

I am trying to be deliberate with these last few lazy days, soaking up the precious time.

I am also asking God to help me pry my hands open to offer this school year to Him.  I know He will fill it with better things than I can imagine.  If only I wait for Him and trust His wisdom.

"For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly."  Psalm 84 11

from Sara Groves, "Open My Hands".


3 comments:

  1. I am so thankful 6th grade is still in elementary here, its a HUGE gift to me and to Colson plus with Victoria starting first its a blessing to have him watching over her first year in elementary school. Enjoy every single moment because in a blink of an eye you'll be facing down Wilson's senior year. Sounds crazy but I'm not kidding.....been there done that nine times over! You and the little guys will find a new normal for your day but I'm fairly certain come mid-afternoon they will be watching, expectantly out the window for their brothers to return home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they were looking out the window when they went to Barbie's house this summer, so I know they'll be waiting for them on the first day. ;) We are doing our best to savor the time as it comes. I never knew it went this fast.

      Delete
  2. honestly, it's heartbreaking how quickly it goes!

    ReplyDelete