01 August 2013

things I learned in July

1. I am not a girl that can go for a run with my hair down.  I am pretty certain that I knew this about myself but for some reason I was too lazy to walk upstairs to get a hair tie.  And, oh what a sweaty mess I was after that run.  Seriously.

2.  I am in love with Target's back-to-school commercials.  It's the music that reminds me of my own back-to-school-days.  Cannot take it.

3.  I feel so incredibly small when I try to take pictures of the sky.  It seems like a silly thing, but I tried to photograph this cloud so many times and it didn't even come close to capturing the bigness of it.  {Perhaps if I got out our actual camera instead of my iPhone, I may have gotten closer; but still.  Sky = huge; me = small.}

4. There is a right way to eat chicken and waffles.  At least the manager at Cheddar's thinks so, I followed his instructions and the results were delightful.

5.  You cannot put salt dough snakes outside if you want them to look like snakes a few days later.  Ours are disintegrating a little bit each day.

6.  I feel like I have enough clothes.  I used to be the girl that HAD to flip through the clearance racks - just in case there was something I needed.  I told Brad the other night that I felt like I didn't really need any clothes.  While we strolled along the outside shopping area on date night, I really couldn't come up with any clothing items I needed to look for... although I did try on some shoes at Ross, because, well, shoes.  {I am certain there are many factors that contribute to this; one being that its so hot here in the summer that the last thing I think about is more clothes; and two, I absolutely do not 'browse' at stores while toting around the boys.}

7.  I could be a pool person.  For people that know me well, this is a shocker.  Believe me, it surprised me when I realized it.  I am totally a person that would love to have a pool in our backyard at our next house.  If we live in the South, there is no doubt that I will actually swim in it too.  Or at least dodge splashes from the boys while walking around in it.


8.  Our local foster care office has taken in 56 children in June & July.  Our caseworker told me that its likely even more will come into care once school resumes.  I feel small all over again.

9.  When I feel small, I have a better perspective of God.  He is able, always. 

***
This "things I learned in July" post is a result of an invitation from Emily Freeman to share our little lessons.  Here's what she has to say about it:
"At the end of each month I like to share a few things I’ve learned. Sometimes it’s educational and informative but usually not.

Usually I’ve discovered a quirk I didn’t know I had or a fascinating-to-me celebrity connection. It’s a mishmash of ordinary life stuff, things that may go unnoticed if I didn’t decide to write them down.

Last month I decided to invite you all to share what you learned in June as well – and it was so much fun I decided to ask you to join me every month! You can do that at the bottom of this post."

So I decided to join in on the fun this month.  You can join in too, link up here.  OR if you don't wanna blog about it, why not sure a lesson or two of yours in the comments?  You know you want to!

6 comments:

  1. 3) Amazing that the God who made that loves us. 4) What's the right way? Do tell.

    Pleased to make your acquaintance via Emily's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I guess I could've included HOW to eat them. The manager said to eat a bite of chicken WITH a bite of waffle at the same time. I am not a food-mixer AT ALL but this totally worked!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Pool in the backyard? That would make your boys really happy! Chicken and waffles.... guess that will be on our list to do when I come for a visit. It breaks my heart to know the numbers in foster care will rise as school begins...praying for all of the little ones(no matter their age; they are still little) that may endure this journey that is no fault of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the boys would LOVE that... which is really why it would be a thing I want.

      You are so right about the foster care kiddos, they are all "little" and it isn't their fault. God sees it all. I pray He continues to stir the hearts of His children to love these little ones.

      Delete
  3. Feeling small as I try to frame a skyline photo...yup, every time. Gorgeous shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda! Fellow CAFO blogger here poppin' over from Emily's. :) We are an adoptive/former foster family - fun to find you, and I love your list!

    ReplyDelete