08 September 2013

note to {my childhood} self

I am participating in Compassion International's Blog Month.  The goal is to have 3,160 new children sponsored this month.  Feel free to click through any of the links to find out more about sponsoring a child.  You aren't committing to anything by checking it out.  Promise! 

The first assignment was to write a blog post to my childhood self.  I wanted to think it over a day or so... then we had "the dog incident" and my arm has been a mess ever since.  But this afternoon, I realized what my childhood self needs to hear.  {And likely my adult self needs to hear it too, maybe you too?}


Listen up, Mandy.  I need to tell you something.  It comes from a place of adoration.  So I'm going to whisper it to your little girl heart. 

Not everything in your world will make sense.  Things will happen that your little head cannot understand and your little heart won't have a clue what to do with all the feelings.  You'll try to figure you out.  You'll try to shove it away.  Its OK.  The good news is, God will work it all out for good.  

I know that sounds a little too simple.  But I am looking at it from this side -from 30 years down the road.  And I can tell you that God has woven such a beautiful life for you out of those hard things you didn't understand.  He brings peace to places you wouldn't guess, and heals hurts you were afraid to talk about.  He really does work all things out for good.  Often its the things we really have a hard time understanding that turn out to be such a beautiful piece of the picture. 

The thing about this Truth, is that it keeps building throughout your life.  So I, Amanda, can look back at you, Mandy; and be encouraged even now.  I've seen all the good work God has done up to this point, I've seen how He has worked out details that no one could have predicted.  So I know looking forward that He will continue this good work of His now.

Even when things happen that my head cannot understand and my heart doesn't have a clue what to do with all the feelings.

He is always good.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

P.S.  I feel its important to add, though, that the matching outfits with your sister don't last much longer.  Keep smiling, its not forever kiddo! 

1 comment:

  1. We love matching outfits. Praying my two never outgrow it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete