24 September 2013

responsible

Is it getting too cliche for me to embed a song in every post?  Gah.  This morning when we were reading our Proverb for the day (you do that, right?  one proverb for each day of the month?), verses 11-12 jumped right off the page to me.  At the same time, they jogged my memory of a song I had heard, that I thought was called, "I am responsible."  {Its actually called, Albertine.}

I'm not sure if I was aware of verses that so blatantly tell us that pretending to not know does not get us off the hook for inaction.
Rescue those being led away to death;
hold back those staggering toward slaughter.
If you say, "But we knew nothing about this,"
does not He who weighs the heart perceive it?
Does not He who guards your life know it?
Will He not repay everyone according to what they have done?
Proverbs 24:10-11
 If that isn't compelling enough, you can always look it up in The Message.
Rescue the perishing; don't hesitate to step in and help.
If you say, "Hey, that's none of my business,"
will that get you off the hook?
Someone is watching you closely, you know-
Someone not impressed with weak excuses.
Ouch! I don't know why I don't have these verses posted all over my house.  They are such pointed reminders. I'm guessing that there are a few of you that would like to help in some way or another, but you wonder if what you have to offer is enough.

Am I right?

Let me remind you of some Truth.  Whatever you offer, if it is all you can offer, it is enough. {See: The widow and her mites. Luke 21:1-4}

I wish I could tell you how many times I fuss over not being able to do more.  In fact, sometimes I spend so much time fussing over not being able to do more, that I do nothing.

I have 3 hours of free childcare a week through our church's Mom's Morning Out program.   I am doing my best to offer that time to volunteer at the Department of Children + Family Services office.  If I'm honest, its closer to 2 hours and 15 minutes by the time you factor in my drive time and the predictable late-out-the-door-start.  (I've yet to leave the house without breaking into a sweat, we can leave on time with gnashing of teeth, or late with joy; most days I try to choose the joy.  Either way I am still a sweaty mess.)

I can easily see how 2 hours and 15 minutes is barely anything when the need is 40 hours.  That is not how God sees it though.  Somehow in His infinite power He is able to take my offering and multiply it.  Today I carried a loaded-down-bag full of donations in with me.  The money that purchased those items did not come from my pocket.  God provides through His people over and over again.

So, friends, I am telling you today -- your offering is not too small.  Your donations are nothing to be ashamed of; God will multiply what you give away.  He sees your heart.

I'm guessing you already have some ideas of where you would like to give.  Start there! 

And if you aren't quite sure where you want to give, good news, I've got some ideas for you.  {And I hope to post them soon, but probably not until after bedtime. When I'm done with that post, I'll link it here too.}

And now, Albertine.  The video is sort of weird, but I really like to see lyrics when I listen to a new song, so that's why I embedded this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment