19 October 2013

on winning


Wilson's football team remains undefeated.  Wilson keeps a running tally, so I know that they have scored 136 unanswered points.  One team has scored one touchdown against them this season.  There are only 4 teams total in our little on-post-league, though.  So we are on round two against the same teams.

On the pre-game ride over to the field this morning, Wilson told me that his coach had said they couldn't ease up.  He said ALL of the other teams want them to lose so they'll be playing harder against them.  {I agree with the coach, I think all three teams would cheer excitedly if any of them beat us.}

I noticed something during the game today.  It seemed as if all the boys on Wilson's team were playing hard.  Different kiddos were making big plays.  They were trying out new plays too.  They were taking risks.  Their teamwork was clicking really well.  They were relentless.

The opposing team started out tough.  Minutes into the game they forced a turnover after our failed fourth down attempt.  However, they weren't able to score on that drive.  We faced another fourth down attempt and this time broke through the line.  There was a defender in range to tackle our runner.  His feet stuttered and he more-or-less fell right alongside the rusher.  We scored.  When we kicked after that TD, the player that caught the ball took a step or two to the side then fell down as our guys rushed to him.  He didn't want to get tackled, so he wouldn't run forward. 

They were playing scared.  They were playing defeated.

I'm not bad-mouthing 9 + 10-year-old boys here, they actually taught me something.

Sometimes, I play scared.  Sometimes, I play defeated.

I forget that I am on the winning team. 

When I've screamed over spilled milk before 8 am, I think the day is lost.  When the teacher writes another note on the homework sheet {that I had signed} about the wrong work being completed, I assume I'll never get it right.  When dinner is a flop and the kitchen is a mess and the babies need baths and the laundry needs folded and I just want to fall down so I won't get plowed over.  I think I'm losing.

But I'm not.  The victory has already been won.  I want to live like I believe that.
"but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord."  1 Corinthians 15:57-58

Sometimes, I just need a reminder.  Don't we all?  So I'm posting a song {surprise!} for you to play loud and dance along with!  Maybe this reminder is too simple for the hard place that you are in today.  I pray though, that you'll find a moment with enough light in it, to turn up the music, close your eyes and just dance.  We win in the end.



The song is "In the End" by Natalie Grant.  It is from her new album Hurricane.  Purchase here.

*the football picture is not from today's game, so the other team will not be incriminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment