03 March 2014

the bridge is broken

Recently a semi-truck hauling a construction vehicle collided with the bridge between our house and main post.  The boom arm of the construction vehicle was not all the way lowered therefore it smashed into the underside of the bridge as it drove underneath it.  It was probably traveling 45 mph. I imagine the crash was fantastic.  But I didn't see it happen.

The bridge is closed for an estimated 6-8 months.  You can drive underneath it but not over it.  If you didn't know what happened, you might not even notice the damage which is only visible underneath the bridge on one side of the highway.

Whenever we need to get to main post, we now have to take a detour off-post to get there.  Wilson + Walker's school bus also has to go off-post to get their school.  Commissary, PX, bank, hospital, PWOC, post office. . . all are on main post.

So we have a new routine whenever the little dudes and I drive somewhere on main post.  As I drive off-post, it begins::

Franklin: Why we go dis way?
Me:  The bridge is broken.
Lincoln:  Why we not go dat way?
Me:  The bridge is broken so we have to a take a detour.
((pause))

Franklin:  We go to commissary?
Me:  Yes, we are going to the commissary, but we have to go a different way.
Lincoln:  Why we go to commissary dis way?  We go to commissary?
Me: Yes, we are going to the commissary, remember the bridge is broken so we have to go this way.
Franklin: Why we go dis way to commissary?
Me: The bridge is broken

((pause for a bit longer))

REPEAT. ENTIRE. CONVERSATION. {sometimes 2x depending on traffic}

You can sub out commissary for any of the other places we go on-post.  The conversation remains the same.  The level of urgency in their questions varies though.  Every once in a while they will answer each other's questions. . . they'll mention the bridge being broken but I am not sure they understand that.  They can talk about it, but they don't really comprehend it.

I told Brad {sarcastically} that this is my favorite part about the bridge being broken.  The incessant repetitive questions.

But here's the deal.  I recognize my own voice in their questions.

I have slightly more sophisticated grammar, but the heart of the questioning is exactly the same.

I'm asking because I don't get it.  I've heard so many times that "His ways are not our ways." [see Isaiah 55:8-9]  I can talk about it but I don't fully understand it.  The evidence that this world is broken abounds.  But I still find myself asking.

Why are we going this way?
Why can't we go that way?
Are we still going where you said we would go?

He answers patiently through His word.  But I confess, I still don't understand.

Why are we going this way?

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you have tribulation, but take heart I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Why can't we go that way?

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face-to-face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known."  1 Corinthians 13:12

Are we still going where you said we would go?

"The gospel of the kingdom shall be preached to the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."  Matthew 24:14

I look forward to the day when the brokenness is gone.  When every tear is wiped away and every broken heart is made whole.  I long for the day when the heavy weight of sorrow is lifted forever.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.  Grant me patience as I wait for you.

3 comments:

  1. Love. LOVE. This! And having that bridge out is, I'm sure, a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see their little faces and hear their voices as they ask you questions..... they are so very precious. So full of wonder. Once again, well written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great reminder.
    This really hit home for my attitude this week. I was recently telling my friends that I have a student at school who asks me every.single.day when we get to school if I have had my baby yet (I am 6 months pregnant). Every single day I explain that the baby will be born AFTER kindergarten graduation, and AFTER summer...right when first grade starts. Without fail, she still asks me the next day if I had my baby yet!
    And yet it's so similar to how I respond to God and his promises. ok, but when, God? When?

    ReplyDelete