01 April 2014

Surprised By Motherhood

This is my 1053rd blog post.  Crazy, right?  We started this thing as a way to keep in touch with family and post news and updates about our day-to-day happenings.

And then facebook.

But I keep blogging just because jotting down my thoughts is an excellent way for me to process the world around me.  Along the way, I've "met" other women online via blogging.  Its certainly been more one-sided, in that they have invited me in to their space and let me take in their words.  There are a handful of online voices that breathe encouragement into my heart every time I read them.

Lisa-Jo Baker is one of those voices.  She has this beautiful way of gathering up all-the-mommas and encouraging on a soul-level.  She speaks Truth with the best kind of love.  She never separates momming into the common mommy-war lines, rather she gathers and unites with her words.

It is a gift.

Especially in a world where a momma can post a status update about her toddler playing at the McDonald's playground -- and instantly get comments about how nasty the food is, how disgusting the playground is, and how much better it is for a child to play in a free-range forest.  Or some such.

There is a whole lot of clamoring about how to do this mothering thing correctly.  Lots of finger pointing and judging and beating-someone-else-up-while-defending-my-own-insecure-decisions.

It can be exhausting.

And then Lisa-Jo's book Surprised By Motherhood.


Not only does she eloquently tell the story of her journey into motherhood, she weaves our stories into her own.  Its not all rainbows and glitter, yet the honesty is refreshing and uplifting.  Its the glory of this work we get to do, and the weight of doing it among diapers and tantrums and he's-looking-out-my-window-mini-van-fights.

If I could buy a copy for all my sisters and all my moms I would.  {But again with the whole getting-out-of-the-Army-needing-a-job thing}.  I've read the first three chapters and I cannot wait to read the rest.  I know it will be a blessing to so many mommas, and daughters, out there.

You can read the first three chapters for free by clicking here. {Just click on the "free chapters" download.}

The book releases today!  If you can't go buy it today, put it on your "Mother's Day List".  I know that a "Mother's Day List" is mostly fictional, but you can drop a hint sister.

Also, I'm going to give away one copy of the book.  If you are interested in winning it, leave me a comment and tell me if the book trailer made you cry.  I'll do a random drawing tonight after bedtime.  Since its Spring Break, I'm going to guess that will be after 9pm here. {We cray-cray Spring Breakers up in here!}

4 comments:

  1. I would love to win this copy for Alesha, mother of my two beautiful grand-babies with twins on the way. She could use the encouragement! No, it didn't make me cry, but I'm not a crier unless I'm about to have a nervous breakdown!
    Natalie Wilkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Natalie, I love that. I'm an easy crier. So, naturally, it got me. One of our mutual friends also entered the drawing via FB because she had trouble with the commenting here, and she was the name Brad drew. I do think this would be a fantastic gift for Alesha though! Twins on the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh, and Katie, you've got all the newborn-hormonal-stuff happening too. I bet you did cry indeed!

      Delete