Fast forward 30+ years and I was trying to decide what to call my hand-lettering business. I was out for a run weighing things over with God and He reminded me of that little girl that was a terrible softball player. I smiled, because I felt a bit of God's delight in that moment. My eyes got teary as acknowledged that my name still starts with an A and stills ends with a Z.
Honestly. I have never really dreamed of being a small business owner. I am terrible with details and deadlines and fine print. However, over the last year I have been steadily taking orders for custom hand-lettered items. The most difficult part of the process for me has been setting prices for my pieces so I thought perhaps this etsy store would help solve that problem for me. I had been cautioned about selling in the state of Alabama without a business license so I applied for one of those.
I continued to drag my feet though. I started setting things up on etsy, completing all the steps except for one. Finally, last month I was a day late in reporting my business income for the prior month {which was $0.00 -- in Alabama you report your income monthly, whether you made any sales or not.} As I filled out the online form I got sick to my stomach when I realized I had to pay a late fee of $50.00. It was my fault and I didn't have any excuses other than fear. I felt a little bit like that little girl up to bat, praying for the pitcher to throw a ball. But it was a strike and I didn't even try to swing the bat. I knew then that it was time to let this thing fly.
You can check out my shop here. When I add new items, I will share them on social media.





No comments:
Post a Comment