31 December 2007

Happy New Year!!!

I've never really been one for resolutions...although I do remember 2. The first was when I "resolved" to read the Bible in a year, you know, cover to cover in 365 days. I did it too. Mainly, I think because it was a group resolution with some of the girls at JYA. The second resolution is the embarassing one that I have mentioned before...about entering every contest/sweepstakes/giveaway that I came across. The silly part is, I was older when I made that resolution! I only stuck that one out about 6 months. And all I "won" was a Mary Kay makeover with a free product from a Mary Kay consultant that never returned my phone calls!!!

I really prefer to reflect on the year past and look forward to the year ahead. I know its kind of cliche, but its true. Since we started sending a Christmas letter, it gets my reflections started early. It is so wonderful to retrace a year, and see God's hand of blessing pour over us each month. Sure, there were difficulties, but overall, I remember the blessings, the lessons, the milestones. The further I walk on this path (and man, do I have a long way to go), the more confident I am of the goodness of our Father. A quiet confidence that He is leading my every step. That He is guiding my family through the leadership of my husband. This year I have seen it abundantly, and I am eager to see His hand in the year to come.

Of course, I cannot look ahead to 2008 without thinking about the upcoming deployment. I don't want to live the next couple months in a "countdown" mode, but at the same time, I don't want to take this time for granted either. Its a crazy balance to find, and I am so thankful that we don't have to do it alone. Our God is so good in giving the wisdom that we need.

Another thing I can't help but think about in 2008 is Wilson starting school. It barely seems possible that my baby is old enough for kindergarten...and yet each day, one more thing happens to confirm that he, indeed, is growing up.

As I reflect, there are areas that I hope to improve in the year to come as well. I want to read more books to the boys. I want to clean the house a bit more effectively. I want to encourage my husband more. And I want to savor more moments. I love new beginnings, I love the anticipation of what is to come. The hope of the future is a beautiful thing, and the future is just a day away. Look back on 2007, make a mental list of the many, many good things that have happened in your life. Look ahead to 2008, savor the moment of wondering what good things will come your way. Ask God to prepare you for His blessings, and then savor them as they come. They will come, regardless of your situation, regardless of the challenges you may face, His blessings will come.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY HEW YEAR KIDS WE DO LOVE YOU SO AND MISS YOU! THANKS FOR KEEPING HIM AT THE FORE FRONT AND MAY HE CONTINUE TO TRANSFORM ALL OUR LIVES! WISHING YOU ALL HIS BEST AND ALL OF US A HEART TO MATCH THE BEST OF OUR WORDS. MAY HIS LOVE GUIDE YOUR HEART AND VISION FOR ALL YOU TOUCH! YOU IMPACT SO MANY. THANKS FOR YOUR SACRIFICE MAY WE ALL DO EQUALLY. FOR HIM WHERE EVER HE CALLS US. IT IS PAINFUL LOOSING TOUCH WITH YOU ALL, NO MATTER WHAT ANY SAY DISTNACE IS BRUTAL AND A THIEF. WHETHER IN DISTANCE OR TIME IT STEALS OUR CONNECTIONS AND NATURAL PATHS THAT DEMAND CARE AND ATTENTION IN RELATIONSHIPS. WE DO SO MISS YOU:BRAD, AMANDA, AND OF COURSE WILSON AND WALKER. I PERSONALLY DREAM OF A DAY WITH MUCH GREATER PROXIMITY IN HEART AND DISTANCE. IT'S LATE AND COLE IS SICK FORM BOTH ENDS SO HAPPY NEW YEAR
    ALL MY LOVE DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really encouraging Amanda, I stopped and read the verse to Bob. Seems very fitting for our situation and yours.

    Love ya, sissybo.

    ReplyDelete