03 June 2009

joy

A few months before Brad deployed, I read the blog of a stranger that had a deployed husband, and two boys. I read it a few times, but one day stands out. She posted about how the joy had left their home, how when she looked at her boys' faces she couldn't see any joy. I bawled. The post bothered me for a few days. It was just so devastating to read those words, knowing we were ready to begin a deployment. And sometime probably before Brad left, but possibly after... I prayed that I would always see the joy in my days. I asked God to reveal it to me, and to keep me faithful in looking for it. I prayed that I would be able to share the joy with my boys, and with Brad when possible.

And God has been faithful. No, not everyday has been sunshine and roses. This has been a hard, long journey. But there has been joy. Unmistakably. The kind of joy that comforts your soul, and reminds you that this is but a slice of things to come. I hope you have caught glimpses of the joy in our days here. Often times, I was most reminded of it when the boys were doing something silly. Even yesterday, they hatched a plan that involved a "tow truck driver" while riding their bikes. I love it when they work as a team!
Getting that front wheel just right, is so important.

And he is off to the repair shop.
And for good measure, Wilson tried out the tiny trike. Big man on a little bike =)


God is good, all the time. And His faithfulness is unending.
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! God has given you much joy.....you are looking at them everyday. We all have been able to see ypur joy throughout this deployment. Amanda, you have been strong and you have done a wonderful job raising the boys the same as you would have if Brad had been by your side each day. You didn't make up for Daddy being gone by buying the boys things(this happens alot), you didn't make McD's a weekly meal, you didn't allow things(like mowing the grass) defeat you. You made times with your boys special(eating store bought ice cream from a cone), you made a meal plan that allowed you to stay within the budget that you and Brad set(and even tried many new recipes), and how I have seen you grow(driving to OKC is something that you really don't even fret any more).... all the while you have blessed others(not only through PWOC). To see the joy that God has brought to you... just look back thorough your posts.
    This has been a long deployment and you have done an amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are always an encouragement to me. Truly they are! Especially on days like today when I can read your blog and think - "Now really, Julie, do you have ANYTHING to complain about?"

    I really hope we get a chance to get together, be it ever so briefly, when you come visit MI this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this blessing. Your time without Brad has been a testimony for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see the tow truck driver had his PPE on and boots.

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are poetic Amanda. Thank you for helping me through this deployment with your blogging. I haven't felt as far away through your words.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, there are so many people out there that never have a separation from loved ones in their life...they have a hard time coping if one comes. What we make from what God gives us is a true showing of how we love the Lord. You have shown your love for your family, for God, and for those who have the privledge to read your blog...well done daughter.

    ReplyDelete