11 March 2011

UN-know

Have you ever wished you could UN-know something?

Sometimes I do miss having cable. I could watch TLC and HGTV and all other forms of meaningless entertainment, and maybe gain some home decor tips or style info... fluffy& happy!

But we don't have cable. And sometimes our best option is on PBS...

A while back Brad and I watched a documentary on PBS about coffee... you can read about it here (but be warned, it might bother you).

Brad and I aren't exactly coffee-snobs. We brew it at home in our Micheal Graves coffee pot from Target. We drink it black. Brad has one cup a day and I have two. That is the extent of it. You might remember that as an anniversary gift the year Brad got back from deployment, he bought me a bag of "From Africa, To Africa" coffee from Starbuck's. And HE really liked it... as did I. Its part of Project Red and $1 from each bag is donated to Project Red.

So we've tried other African blends of coffee from Starbuck's as well. We Like the "From Africa..." one the best, I think.

But here's the thing. Grocery prices are going up, which makes our grocery budget tighter. So we've been looking into alternatives. Right now we have some Folger's Breakfast blend on the counter. Brad is unimpressed.

Mom got us some fair-trade African coffee from the church she works at awhile back, so we started pricing that... As Brad did some searching, we found out that the African coffee from Starbuck's isn't even fair trade.

And I sort of just wish I didn't know about the people that can't get fair prices for their coffee beans so they opt to grow a drug-like plant instead that they can sell for a higher price. I wish I didn't know that hard-working coffee farmers can't feed their families because they get so little compensation for their crops. And I wish I didn't know that African coffee farmers can hardly even get their beans to market outside of Europe.

I wish I hadn't spent 7 -8 minutes reading every single label at the Commissary, so I wouldn't know that there is not a single African coffee on the shelves.

I whine about my grocery prices going up. I wish I didn't know how shallow that makes me.

Maybe its time to stop wishing I didn't know things and start living as though everything I do impacts other people. Because it does. I am rich in this present world. How I spend my wealth matters.

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. " 1 Timothy 6:17-19

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your encouragement over my direction today!

    It is so hard to live IN this world and not become OF this world, huh?!. I look to you often as a mentor in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD STUFF!!! Thank you for sharing. It sure does speak to my heart on the issues God's been giving me. THanks for the scripture too. I'm gonna use that, if you don't mind.

    I will pray for your purposefulness, as well. Thank you for your prayers.

    Thanks for being a great friend and for sharing your heart!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Encouraging post. I read three people's perspective after losing their financial security, homes, etc. and they now wouldn't trade what they learned from that experience, even if it meant getting their finances back.
    Priorities.

    ReplyDelete