06 October 2010

ain't that a kick in the head...

We had a particularly rough home-study yesterday. It wasn't so much the interview, as the circumstances surrounding it. Namely, more missing paperwork and the feeling of inability to do anything about it. We checked and rechecked our list of paperwork before handing in our packet. Those of you that know Brad, KNOW it was all there. (I might be prone to missing some details here and there, but Brad is gifted in the details-arena. Thorough is an understatement for how he covers fine print.) At our first meeting, Brad had to fill out a paper, that he had already filled out once. Yesterday, we found out Brad's application is now missing.

We were frustrated.

We discussed it some; stating that the idea of going through an expensive professional agency was alluring right about now. And realizing that some missing paperwork is the reason some children linger in foster care. And feeling powerless to do much about it. But wait. And fill out the same forms...again...and again.

I was reminded that this is a battle. And that I know the Victor. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." John 10:10

This morning I was catching up on some blogs that I read when I am not too busy. I haven't read any of them in about a week, and there were many updates about a conference this past weekend. Together for Adoption. I watched this video...

Isaiah's Story from 31Films on Vimeo.

And, naturally, I bawled my eyes out. The realization flooded over me, no matter how frustrated we might feel in this adoption process. No matter how helpless we might feel in regard to waiting on the right person to get the right paperwork. Our journey will never be as difficult as the one our child is walking right now... wherever he or she is. From this day forward, I pray that each frustration we face will strengthen our resolve, will steady our feet on this path, and will keep us praying constantly for the little one God will bring to our home.

4 comments:

  1. it would be so easy to let our frustrations control our actions yet for some reason God has allowed this and I'm anxious to see how He will "play it out" in your lives! Praying that God protects the new little one He has waiting for you and that He grants you peace as you move through this process. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know its tough, Amanda. The paperwork can seem overwhelming at times. I remember all the anger and frustration we went through with all the bureaucracy. At times it felt like all the agencies involved were conspiring against us, like they didn't really want to find solid, loving homes for these kids. It makes no sense at times.

    But hang in there. Keep pushing forward, don't take no for an answer, and you will prevail. And a child will have eternity to thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome testimony... love & prayers

    ReplyDelete